649-B CM PRINCIPLES, TAILORING & IMPLEMENTATION Course Code: CM-649-B 3 days
This course covers the current SAE EIA-649-B as well as changes you can expect to see in the new release. Revision C of the SAE EIA-649 Configuration Management Standard is now underway, and should be released sometime in 2017. The SAE EIA-649-B Configuration Management Standard is the de facto CM guidance document for commercial and government enterprises. But implementation and compliance can be a daunting task. 649 contains only a handful mandatory requirements (shall statements). Regardless, 649 is a great foundation. But it does puts the burden on users to structure requirements, tailor, and implement a conforming CM program from very broad CM Principles and "rational." No worries, this is where our course is different from others you may have seen. We don't just read the standard in our training like others do, we teach CM using the 649 CM framework...so students come away knowing 649, the nominal and informative content, the 37 CM Principles, and how to implement a compliant CM program. In our 649 training, all the CM roles are covered, such as Customer, Supplier, development, sustainment, military, commercial, hardware, software, IT, and various industry tailoring. This course also covers 649-1, NASA EIA649-2, and other supporting standards as they are released. And our exclusive CMTaskware software, out in 2017, gives students a virtual mentor, helping them study for certification, develop implementation plans, and retain long term what they have learned in the course. During this course you will learn strategic and detailed CM planning for implementing a 649 compliant CM program:
- New Certified 649 Professional Certification
- Complete coverage of the ANSI/EIA-649-B CM Standard
- Map the 649 principles to CM requirements, processes, tasks & tools
- Get hands-on experience with our planning workshop
- Includes CM assessment, CM strategy development and process templates
- Use the latest tools to analyze -649 for strategic planning
- Learn the applicability of 649 principles to your environment
- Discover how to integrated 649 with other CM standards and initiatives
- Includes both Commercial and Defense implementation of 649
- Class participation encouraged, an informative time will be had by all!
- Covers SAE/EIA-649-1 CM Requirements for Defense Contracts
- Examines and differentiates the acquirer and supplier roles in 649-1
- Learn how requirements and CM tasks are derived from the CM Principles
- Also includes tailored 649-B/649-1 requirements for Commercial application
- Defense acquirers will learn how to tailor 649-1 for their contracts
- You will learn how to review a CMP for contractual compliance
- Suppliers will learn how to respond, comply, and write their CM Plan
- Hands-on tailoring workshop with 649-1 ANNEX A TAILORING WORKSHEET
- 649 Certification upon completion of this course
At the start of the course attendees will receive our supplemental resource of CM information and application guide. These are used in class workshops and projects to reinforce concepts learned with practical examples and experience. These include everything you need to assess the maturity of your CM process, analyze the 649 CM Standard, and create your own unique tailored 649 compliant Configuration Management Strategic Planning Map. Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptops and handhelds to class for use in our workshops and projects. Everyone will benefit from completing our 649 Track and Certification. It doesn't matter if you are new to CM, already have CM certifications, work with hardware, software, documentation, government, defense or in a commercial industry, this track applies to everyone. This course includes hands-on interactive group experiences designed to facilitate long term retention of what you learn in the course.
Attendees will develop a CM Strategic Planning Map into a 649 compliant Configuration Management Requirements Document, CM Implementation Plan and CMP, specifically tailored to their environment, using the latest tools and techniques in class. For those with current CM plans, we recommend you bring them with you for analysis, validation and improvements in our workshops. You will not only learn how to write a 649 compliant CMP, but how to review one as well. In addition to presentations, team projects, and class workshops, attendees will receive individual mentoring by our internationally recognized speaker and SMEs. This is the only CM track in the world where attendees leave with certification and a roadmap for implementing a 649 CM program. Standards can be long and dry. Sitting for days listening to a speaker read slides or staring at a monitor can be painful ... the mind can only absorb as much as the rear can endure. That is why we teach 649 with the right proportion of lecture and hands-on interactive experiences. If you learn by doing, in a dynamic group environment, this 649 course is right for you.
LEVEL IV - Certified 649 Professional Cert Code: C649P
The new 649 Certification is included free of charge as part of the 649 Track ... one course, a total of three days of training.
- No other prerequisites
- Exams after major course sections
- True false, multiple choice
- Participation in course workshops required
- Completion and presentation of course project
Certification is granted at successful completion of CM-649-B. Completion entails participation in the course workshops, exams, and finishing the group project. Graduates receive a completion certificate and their name will be entered into the ISCM registry showing they have achieved 649 certification.